Ben and Joel welcome back scholar, author, and Powerline blogger extraordinaire Steve Hayward for a wide-ranging chat about his latest book, The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Presidents from Wilson to Obama (Regnery).
Among the questions we discuss:
• Why start with Woodrow Wilson? Why not include an earlier Progressive Republican?
• What did America's Founders have in mind with the presidency?
• Are Republican presidents graded on a curve?
• Is the rationale for wiretapping and waterboarding really constitutional?
• If the president does it, is it legal?
• Does John Locke justify the Iran-Contra Affair?
• What is the charitable constitutional case for Richard Nixon?
• Does Calvin Coolidge make a comeback this year?
• Is Barack Obama an "affirmative action president?"
• And much, much more!
Music heard in this podcast:
• "Pigs (Three Different Ones)," Pink Floyd
• "Hey Mr. President," The Electric Prunes
• "Mustapha Dance," The Clash
• "Young Americans," David Bowie
• "Assemble Your Crew," The Mag Seven
• "When the Going Gets Dark," Quasi
Programming note: This episode of "The Ben and Joel Podcast" is Vol. 5, No. 3. Coming up next: Hillsdale College President Larry P. Arnn joins Ben and Joel to discuss "The Founders' Key."
Please visit and "like" the new Ben and Joel page on Facebook for updates about the podcast and our weekly syndicated column with ScrippsHoward News Service.